In March 2010, Wellspring University commenced operations with an initial enrolment figure of less than 80 Students admitted into two Colleges namely:
- College of Natural and Applied Sciences hosting the following programmes;
- Sc programme in Biological Sciences, and
- Sc programme in Computer Science, and Information and Communication Technology, and
2 College of Social and Management Sciences offering Bachelor of Science programmes in the following courses;
- Business Administration,
- International Relations, and
- Mass Communications
In 2013, an accreditation and verification team of the National Universities Commission visited the University for its Maiden Accreditation, To God be the glory all the seven programmes offered in the University were accredited.
In August 2015, Wellspring University was issued full license by the National Universities Commission in recognition of its laudable attainments landmark in the tertiary sub-sector of the Nigerian educational system.
In March 2017, Wellspring University conducted its combined maiden convocation ceremony where more than 250 graduands from 2013/2014 – 2015/2016 sessions were issued degree certificates and three eminent Nigerians awarded Honorary degrees. The new Chancellor in the history of the university, Pastor Itua was also installed on the occasion.
To God be the glory that the University which opened in 2010 with a modest figure of less than 80 students now has over 500 students in its enrolment.
The university has also recorded the following feats:
- Excellent ranking by the Nigerian Universities Commission (NUC)
- Commendation by the NUC
- Full accreditation status of virtually all of the programmes of the university